Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Queen!!










Last night, well, early this morning I watched the movie "The Queen". Starring Helen Mirren as the Monarch. First off, I have to say they did a remarkable job with Mirren's makeup to look like Elizabeth II, and James Cromwell as Prince Phillip was a very good shot. Even Michael Sheen as Tony Blair turned out to be a great choice--although he took a while to grow into the role--by the end he really was a very good Tony Blair look alike. That being said...Who in the world would think of Alex Jennings for Prince Charles? I mean, in Alex Jennings looks the part of the Crown Prince of England--but Puh-Lease!!! He's far more handsome than the real Prince--I absolutely could not go with them there--every time he was on screen--the movie lost me. Another distraction was Sylvia Syms as the Queen Mother. It was actually a rude way to have the Queen Mum portrayed--this character was aloof and 'dumb', yet every account you read of the real Queen Mum--she was smart as a tack with a quick humor. This was just some dumb, aloof old lady nearing senility--and that was wrong.

I thought this whole movie was a slam on the Monarchy, and then to find out that Helen Mirren was unable to re-arrange her schedule to have dinner with the Queen--let just say--had I just played her in a movie where she came off looking more sympathetic to a dead deer than she did her former daughter in law---I think I would be uncomfortable sitting in the same room with her either--the Queen is very gifted with a shotgun after all!!


After everything going on in my family with a Soon2BX sister in law--I can understand a little more of the situation that the royal family was thrown into--and there was a quote in the movie given by Tony Blair that summed it up perfectly.

You know, when you get it wrong, you really get it wrong! That woman has given her whole life in service to her people. Fifty years doing a job SHE never wanted! A job she watched kill her father. She's executed it with honor, dignity, and, as far as I can tell, without a single blemish, and now we're all baying for her blood! All because she's struggling to lead the world in mourning for someone who... who threw everything she offered back in her face. And who, for the last few years, seemed committed 24/7 to destroying everything she holds most dear!

Now, if this was your daughter in law--tell me...would you be jumping through hoops to throw her a State Funeral either? I think this movie, which was all around Diana and rarely anything to do with the Queen herself was defamatory and very insulting to people that no one really knows. I'm not sure it will be watched again--but I honestly think the Oscar belonged to the make up person who could turn Helen Mirren into Elizabeth--it was an amazing likeness.

0 comments: