Thursday, November 22, 2007

10 Years Ago Part 2!!

We got home from the theater and I went to bed--it had been a long day and I was looking forward to another long day of shopping in the morning! I woke up early as I usually did with a baby sitting on my bladder. While I was sitting half asleep in the restroom I had a thought "Wow, right now would be a perfect time to have my water break." No lie, immediately there was a rush of very warm fluid out of a very "new" area! My water had broken!!

I called the hospital and let them know what happened, and they said that I should start getting ready to come in. So I went upstairs and woke up my husband with the classic "Honey, It's Time!!" statement. Holy Cow the TV shows and movies are right! He jumped out of bed and starts running in circles. I stopped by the door of the room where his is now very nearly dressed and said calmly-"Do you want to shower first, or should I?" He stopped mid snap, looked at me strangely and said, "Is there time for that?"

We finally got to the hospital around 10:00 am, and my husband went downstairs to sign me in. The midwife came in and was surprised to find that I was being signed in-she thought I was coming in to see if my water really broke. Duh, I'm not that dumb! Yes, I'm a first time mom--but after years of peeing--I know when a rush of warm "fluid" is coming from a different bodily orifice-thank you!! She got some litmus paper, and didn't even get it near me. The fluid on her glove from prepping me-turned the litmus bright red, and she informed (?) me that my water had broken! Again---refer to the above "DUH" statement for my thoughts on the moment!!

I was admitted and sent to walk the halls waiting for labor to actually begin! And I could have been walking the outlet stores by this time!! Hello!! So we walked until I couldn't walk anymore--I just wanted to lie down. It was several hours before they started the pitocin, and several hours after they started the pitocin. Luckily--I chose a great "football" day for my husband to sit around a watch! It was rivalry weekend! BYU played Utah, and Michigan played Ohio! He was happy to have nothing to do but run for nurses every so often, and watch football! Finally around 11:45 at night, they decided that it was going to be time to push soon--but don't worry mom-it usually takes about 1 1/2 hours for the first baby!!

Well, NOT when it's my first baby!!! To be continued -- on Jake's actual birthday!!