Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Trolley Square!!

I was in Phoenix when I read that a shooting had broken out at a mall killing and injuring many before the gunman was eventually killed in a shoot out with police. Everytime I hear a story like this--my mind automatically puts the location--far away. Somewhere back east--maybe in California. But when I read Salt Lake City shopping mall--I was shocked. That doesn't happen in Salt Lake. I lived there my whole life--I've been to Trolley Square hundreds of times. I can picture the parking garage where the shooting began. My favorite restaurant at the mall was in the newspaper--this was MY world--and there was a shooting in it.

I immediately called my mom--because all of my family is in Utah, and although not really close to Trolley Square--my little brother is a Wedding Photographer, and he could be there doing some quirky wedding shots--others might just have been out to dinner--The Old Spaghetti Factory is there--that's a really popular place. But my mom assured me that everyone in my family was safe. Good news--the best news--but it didn't take the sadness away.

The shooter was laid to rest this week in Bosnia. He was of the Muslim religion-not that that is in anyway the reason for the shooting--I'm not sure we'll ever know exactly why he did it. My heart goes out to all of the families of the innocent victims-and to the parents of the shooter. No mother wants this as her sons legacy--I hope they all find peace!

0 comments: