Saturday, September 22, 2007

Selling Chocolate!!

When I was in high school I had to go door to door selling a number of 'fund raising' items. I hated every minute of it, and vowed (at the age of 16) that I would never make my kids sell anything door to door. If they had to earn money for their "Cheer" uniform--I would just pay for it!

Well, fast forward...holy cow...20 years! OH MY GOSH!! It was 20 years ago that I was 16!! Ok--sorry, had to restart the heart there!!! My oldest is in the 4th grade and his grade is planning a field trip to the State Capitol, Springfield. The bus ride alone is 3 hours--and it will cost each child $55. They sent around a permission slip where your child could sell candy to help raise the funds--or you could just pay it. True to my word--I wrote in that we would just pay it.

Then I got to thinking! I have to pay $55 either way--I might as well get $55 worth of chocolate for it! So I sent in another note--and Friday, Jake came home with a box of candy.

Unlike his mother--he's LOVING this selling candy gig! He's found himself missing money--and I told him that we were going to need to send the box back to school--I'm not paying for candy I don't get to partake of!! He was actually crushed! As a 16 year old--there wouldn't have been happier words to my little ears than that--but he is just the opposite! So more candy will be sold!

0 comments: