Sunday, May 17, 2009

Colon Fun

Tonight I had to watch the Farrah Fawcett documentary on the internet because we were out on Friday night. Oh my heavens...how sad was it! I have never been a huge Farrah fan. She's quite a bit older than I am, and I never even watched Charlie's Angels. But after watching her battle with this debilitating disease, it just broke my heart.

It's been 2 years since her diagnosis, and it seems like she's tried every form of treatment, but has been unable to beat it. I don't know how much longer she has, but it certainly made me try to rethink my life! Colon cancer flows rampantly through my family. I lost my aunt to it 4 years ago and my uncle has had his colon removed. My grandma died in 1987 from a tumor, but she refused to even have it tested to find out what it was. After watching her kids, I'm almost sure it was colon cancer.

My mom has done all she can to keep on top of it in her life. From Colonix to yearly Colonoscopy, she's trying to change the tide in her favor. She does suffer from minor diverticulitis, so she has bulked up on fiber in her diet. Sadly, she is sticking to me on this too. I just turned 38, and she's let me know that once I hit 40...a yearly Colonoscopy will be required (yuck)!

I don't know if any of these techniques would have helped Farrah in the early stages, but my heart certainly went out to her family at this really sad time!

0 comments: